Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The law of cats

Through my many years of cat ownership (that doesn't sound quite right - cat servitude, maybe?), I have observed two natural laws of catdom:

  1. Cats detest clean floors and rugs. Without fail, minutes after I finish vacuuming, Swiffering, or mopping, my cat will make a lovely hairy deposit to show his appreciation.Unfortunately, I don't usually discover the morsel until it's dark and I'm barefoot. Last week when I was dealing with one of the aforementioned deposits, I was thinking that someone should write a country song about cleaning up cat blurf.
  2. Cats have a sensor for detecting when you are least able to pay attention to them. It doesn't matter if I'm laid out on the couch, feverish, and half dead (like I've felt this week) - the cat insists on sitting next to me, howling his head off, and staring at me with a very annoyed look until I create a lap for him to curl up on. When R was a baby, and I was completely exhausted in the evenings after I put R to bed but needed to do laundry, dishes, etc., the cat would follow me around the house, again howling his head off until I sat down on the couch to create the lap. It was enough to make me scream.
This morning, these two laws morphed into one. As I lay on the couch, feeling achy and gross, I heard the telltale sound of a cat butt being dragged across the kitchen floor and then the music-to-my-ears howling. Who doesn't love mopping while they're sick? Good times.

8 comments:

kc bob said...

Hope you are feeling better real soon Kristen!

Ericka said...

I'm so sorry that happened to you, especially when you're sick :(

I think cat affiliation captures the spirit. Or maybe that's what they do to us.

Ericka said...

woohoo! I got the HTML tags right on the first try!

Kristen said...

Thanks, Bob and Ericka! The tylenol is starting to do its thing, and I think I'm finally on the mend!

sandwhichisthere said...

Sweetheart,
I hope that you feel better very soon. You will probably have today to rest as I think we are due for a major storm.
Your cat can be a task sometimes but I think just the fact that you take care of a cat says good things about you. I have always been suspicious of people that don't like cats.
Dogs, unlike their counterparts, need to be walked, need access to the toilet bowl, and occasionally need their rear ends reamed. As the Genius of Pittsburgh once said "Dogs are like strings. Every Yo-Yo needs one.".

sandwhichisthere said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sandwhichisthere said...

Sweetheart,
if H's problem is fur balls, put a dab of Crisco on the front of one of his front legs. He will lick it off. Do this about once every three days and the fur ball problem will disappear.
The butt dragon problem may have to be addressed by a veterinarian or a career counselor. I found that when I had a job that I didn't like, I had to drag my butt to work each day,
daddy

heidi @ ggip said...

This is too true!!! Cats have many positive attributes,but they also have these that make them uniquely cats!