Saturday, February 14, 2009

How've you been?

It's been so long! Or at least it feels that way. How are you all? Happy Valentine's Day!

Life has been a mixed bag for me lately. We keep getting bad financial news at work, and A is starting to stress out about that. We had been planning to go visit his family in California next month, but we don't feel comfortable spending the money now. And, that's bothering A a lot because his parents are aging quickly, and we want R to spend time with his grandparents before it's too late. So we talked today about skipping going out to eat and saving money wherever we can specifically so that we can make the trip sometime this year. But we don't want to raid our current savings in case we need that later to pay our bills if we both lose our jobs. *Sigh*.

So that's most of the not-so-great stuff. Now for the better stuff! All of a sudden, I have a social life! LOL. I've been reconnecting with long lost friends through Facebook and other venues, and it has been wonderful to have some time to meet up with these wonderful women after work for appetizers, drinks, and catching up. And, guess what? R was fine! Despite all my fears and worries, he was not emotionally scarred that I wasn't able to have dinner with him and read him his bedtime stories every single night of the last couple of weeks. ;-) So, I'm letting myself have one night a week that's for me - either to meet up with friends, attend my Bible study group, or maybe even just to go shopping or to the bookstore by myself.

The other great thing is that the weather stopped beating the crap out of us! It hasn't snowed in a couple of weeks, and we actually had two days this week in the 50s - yay! Nearly all the snow has finally melted, and we were able to take R to the playground. It was so wonderful to get outside and feel the warm breeze, to smell the damp earth, to stomp on the thinning ice and break it up into little melty pieces.

On my Thursday home with R this week, we spent a few hours making valentines for his classmates at school. (I stupidly forgot about his teachers - oops!) I was so surprised - R was really into it, and he did such a good job making a unique valentine for each of his 23 friends. (Some of them he never sees because they are at school on different days than him, but you have to include everbody, of course.) I cut up card stock paper into rectangles, and R used stickers and glitter glue and little jewels and letter stamps to decorate them.


I made valentines for R and A, and they came out so nice! I was really excited to do something creative for once. :-) I also bought teeny, tiny canvases and made a painting for each of them as gifts. R's came out GREAT. I've gotten really good at painting and drawing rocketships, so his was easy. A's didn't turn out like I'd hoped, but he and I had a good laugh about it. I was trying to represent our two hearts as strong and together even when surrounded by a storm, but it ended up looking like a sun wearing heart sunglasses, against a really cool stormy background. I got the storm part down, but the rest was hysterical. (Maybe I'll post a picture of the paintings tomorrow, and you'll see what I mean.) I don't think I've mentioned that A bought me an artist's set for Christmas, which was such a thoughtful and amazing gift. I wanted to paint him something to thank him, but I need a lot more practice first. :-)

My Valentine's Day has been quite lovely. A lazy morning with my boys that included homemade heart-shaped chocolate chip pancakes, time outside at the park, Lego time, a mini-nap on the couch, rousing games of Trouble and Mousetrap after dinner -- and now there's a warm, crackling fire in the fireplace, a glass of champagne, and a box of chocolates awaiting me. So I need to get off the computer!

Have a wonderful night and weekend! I'll leave you with my new favorite picture of R. It makes me laugh out loud every time I see it. (Those are my boots, in case you were worried.) :-)

6 comments:

Wanda said...

Oh Kristen ~~ R in your boots is so totally adorable!
I'm so so glad you are carving out a night for yourself. This is so healthy emotionally and spiritually.

Glad you got a chuckle from my dog named Boob~ Maybe someday I'll grow up and things like this will stop happening to me!!

Sure hope to get to make your trip.

I can't tell you how blessed I am to be living close to our grandchildren now. In fact..tomorrow night we are going to Chuck-E-Cheese for Jon Jon 8th birthday.
Love and Hugs

NoVA Dad said...

I'll certainly have you and your family in my prayers. My wife was laid off from her job in November, and it's only because of the job I now have that we've been able to weather the storm. She's had a few leads and some good interviews, so we're waiting (with a positive attitude; sort of an Advent for the new year).

Facebook is a great thing as well; I love it!!

Suztash said...

Remember the valentines we used to make for each other? That was always fun and a geat creative outlet. R looks like he's posing for a Saturday Night Fever album! He's so funny and imaginative. Love you all or y'awl. Mom

Greg C said...

Those cards are really cute. We had a great one too. Try not to stress about the economy. I do think in the long run it will be a good thing to take a step back.

Anonymous said...

Great pic of R in your boots! The Valentine's Day cards looked very cute. I was so happy to read that you are taking time for yourself! You deserve it!!! Sending you hugs and prayers for better times ahead! xoxo

LEstes65 said...

You're awesome. Those valentines are gorgeous and what a great idea. I tried to make two hearts for the boys but ruined them both so I just got them some candy. *sigh*

Oh I LOVE those boots on R.