Friday, June 15, 2007

Happy weekend

I started gathering my thoughts to write a nice Father's Day post for A, but that'll have to wait until tomorrow night. I'm too exhausted to do it tonight. It's been a long week. Last night, I fell asleep on the couch at 9:15, went up to comfort R at 12:30, woke up in his room at 3 a.m. and came downstairs to wash up and get some water, tripped on the stairs and hurt my knees and pulled a muscle in my back on my way back to bed, collected a crying R and brought him to our bed at 5 a.m., and then laid awake until my alarm went off at 6:20. I am really looking forward to naptime on Saturday. :-)

Hmmm, that is if there is a naptime tomorrow. In the morning, we have tickets to A Day Out with Thomas the Tank Engine at Edaville Railroad. We went twice last summer, and it was a lot of fun. The park has lots of kiddie rides, including a huge carousel and a space capsule ride, besides the real steam engine that you get to ride around the grounds. There's also a decent BBQ joint down the street where we might go for lunch. So, R will probably take his nap in the car on the way home.

Tomorrow afternoon, A has his monthly coin club meeting, so R and I will have the afternoon and evening for some Mommy-R time. Yay! I think we'll make something for A for Father's Day, but other than that I'm not sure yet.

We got R's progress report from school today. He's doing great in all areas - self-esteem, imaginative play, sharing, physical development, recognizing letters, numbers, shapes, colors, etc. - but there was one comment from his teachers that they are working with R on his "listening skills." Oh boy. We're trying to work on that, too. A was actually worried for awhile that R had a hearing problem because he either ignores us completely or asks "What?" after everything we say. It's infuriating. The thing is, if you ask R what we just said to him, he repeats it back word for word. (And if you whisper something about ice cream, he immediately responds.) I'm not happy about it because it seems to go hand in hand with R being defiant and disrespectful (e.g., tonight when I asked him to put something away, he yelled at me, "NO WAY! I am NOT going to do it!" Oooh, I almost lost it.). So A and I have to team up to hopefully put a stop to this. (For the record, I kept at him tonight until he did put the object in question away.) Overall, R is a very sweet, thoughtful, caring boy. I just want to keep it that way!

1 comment:

LEstes65 said...

R sounds just like Cai. Seeing as how they're both the same age, makes sense.

I hope you guys have a wonderful Father's Day this weekend. Give A a huge hug for me.