Thursday, June 7, 2007

We're home

Vermont was beautiful. Everything was green and lush and clean and crisp and wonderful. R had fun running around outside, rolling down hills with A, kicking and throwing balls, going for walks, swimming at the pool, and tasting a new flavor (Creme Brulee) at the Ben & Jerry's factory. He loved the guest house where we stayed and spending time with his grandparents and with an old family friend. He was so great the entire time - on the ride up, during our stay, and the ride back. It was our first major road trip with him (four hours each way), and it was a success.

The beauty of the mountains there helped me a lot. I did not have the best time (that's putting it nicely) - I got so stressed out from A's mom that I'm still trying to relax now 10 hours later. BUT... on Wednesday morning, I woke up before everyone else, threw on a sweater (it was only 40 degrees!), and went outside to pray and listen. I watched the clouds: there were all different kinds of formations, and one huge formation looked like smoke billowing out of one of the mountaintops. The sky was filled with clouds swirling around - some dark and threatening, others puffy and friendlier. It was pretty chilly.

Then, all of a sudden, the sun burst out of the clouds right above me and I was enveloped in warmth. I had to close my eyes because it was so bright. It was the most amazing feeling: I felt God all around me; I felt his love and presence. A few moments later, the clouds covered the sun again. And then I heard a tiny voice exclaim, "Mommy!" behind me. R ran into my arms, clad only in a t-shirt and shorts, and said, "It's COLD!" So we went back inside for some breakfast.

Sometimes it just doesn't seem fair that I'm so loved. I don't deserve it. But I'll take it just the same. :-)

Edited to add:

I had to share this verse that I read this morning because of how it relates to my experience in seeing the clouds in VT - I was so excited! [Emphasis mine]
May the glory of the Lord endure for ever,
may the Lord rejoice in his works,
who looks on the earth and it trembles,
who touches the mountains and they smoke!
I will sing to the Lord as long as I live;
I will sing praise to my God while I have being.

I love those times when the Bible takes my breath away!

3 comments:

LEstes65 said...

Oh but you DO deserve it. And I love you, too.

NoVA Dad said...

Oh, you deserve to be loved -- I think your experience with the sun, the mountains, and your husband and little boy are proof that you DO deserve it!

Glad it was a nice trip (for the most part), but your blog buddies are glad to have you back.

Kristen said...

Thank you, both! Matt - it was just like you said - the mountains really were my saving grace there.