Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Day 9 - 30 Days of Thanks: Sleep

I'm giving thanks today for sleep. I don't get much of it (which is totally my own fault - I need to learn to put the laptop away hours sooner than I do), but the little I do get is precious.

The transforming power of sleep amazes me. I can fall asleep angry or stressed or sad, and wake up calm, refreshed, and excited for a new day, for a new start.

Pre-marriage and pre-parenthood, A and I would stay out until the wee hours and then sleep until early afternoon. When R was a baby and toddler and took naps every day, I'd usually sleep during at least one of his naptimes. I didn't realize in those days how much I would miss the freedom to sleep almost whenever I wanted to.

I fantasize about napping now. Especially on cold, wet, dreary days (like yesterday) when the world seems to whisper, "Stay in bed."

Do you get enough sleep? How much is enough?

No comments: