Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Day 29 - 30 Days of Thanks: The Earth

Today - and every day - I am thankful for this amazing and beautiful planet. From the tiniest organism to the tallest mountains, the Earth is filled with so much wonder. Is there anything more incredible?

I find so much joy in the Earth. I could spend hours watching birds flit around my backyard. Or a rosy sunset. Or the ocean waves rolling in. Hiking in the woods can bring tears to my eyes because I become overwhelmed by the beauty of animal tracks in the snow. Or moss growing on boulders. Or majestic trees shading the forest floor.

I know that the Earth can be deadly and dangerous, too. Volcanoes erupt and destroy homes. Earthquakes and tornadoes and hurricanes and drought and blizzards can kill animals and people. Wild animals kill each other and attack humans. But there is awesome power there. And, a circle of life and an overall balance that must be respected.

To me, the most amazing thing of all is how resilient the Earth and its creatures are. Despite everything that we humans have done to this place, the Earth rebounds. Life goes on. Not always, of course. Species have become endangered, then extinct. But I think about how plants can take root in the most inhospitable places. I think about the movie Wall-E, where a tiny plant managed to grow amidst mountains and mountains of garbage and deadness after hundreds of years, after humans had trashed the Earth and abandoned it to live in space.

I believe we have an obligation to take care of this Earth, to respect and cherish and honor this place that sustains life for us and millions of other species. But that's a whole other post for another time.

Today, I'm just eternally grateful for this beautiful planet and every living thing on it.

No comments: