Friday, November 21, 2008

Nothing says I love you like...


...an owl decoy?!?

This morning on the bus, a man in front of me was browsing a catalog. At the top of one page, the heading was Fine Gifts of the Highest Quality. Under that "category" was a picture of an owl decoy. And, even better, it was 30% off! Woohoo!

An owl decoy is a fine gift? That must be some pretty special plastic. ("Merry Christmas, darling - here's a plastic owl to scare away pigeons from pooping on the porch.")

At least it made me laugh on the way to work. That doesn't happen very often when taking public transportation. :-)

***Edited to add: Speaking of gifts, does anyone have any suggestions for baptism gifts? We're going to the baptism of our friends' twins this weekend, and I don't know if there is a particular kind of gift that's expected. The family is Catholic. Any ideas?

8 comments:

sandwhichisthere said...

Sweetheart,
go to the rectory, they will have a suggestion as to the appropriate blessing, over drinks,
daddy

Wanda said...

Wish I had a good answer for you. Please post what you decide. I made need to have the information for myself sometime.

Still laughing from the Owl story...I don't think it would be an appropriate baptism gift...now a dove...that might be a different story...((ha ha))

Suztash said...

As to gifts, check out Christian Book Distributors online. Blessings, I could send you a bunch that we use for baby showers. How soon is the baptism? I'll try to locate the shower materials and get back to you. Love you. Mom

Anonymous said...

Always love catching up on your posts, K! Not surprised that R is already writing a book -- he's a chip off of the 'ole block!

Knowing your history with the twins and their parents, I would say that your presence is present enough. But, if you want to get a gift, these sites have quite a few ideas: http://www.catholicfreeshipping.com/cfs_childrens_books.html or http://www.findgift.com/Occasions/Baptism/. If you are looking for something that you can pick up in the store before heading to the ceremony, large department stores tend to carry children's picture frames and photo albums with crosses on them.

xoxo to you all

sandwhichisthere said...

Sweetheart,
there is a Catholic bookstore downtown, somewhere near Filene's, I forget which street. As I remember the also carry small gifts that would be appropriate. Another thought is engraved silver baby spoons or cups. E.B. Horn may be able to help you with that,
daddy

sandwhichisthere said...

Sweetheart,
check your e-mail at yahoo,
daddy

Ericka said...

Oh shoot, I remember the catholic store downtown, but I can't remember the exact street it's on. I used to walk by it every day on the way to & from work.

Personally, after having pigeon problems, I would be delighted to receive a plastic owl. Luckily, no pigeons here. Which, come to think of it, seems pretty strange. We did have two doves that liked to nest above our kitchen door, but I got rid of them the old fashioned way (broom + noise).

As for baptism gifts, I know I always cherished my lttle turqoise cross, but maybe that comes from the godparents? (which may, in any case, be you)

sandwhichisthere said...

Sweetheart,
I don't think that the owl is a decoy. I think it is supposed to be a scarecrow. From the tomatoes in the background, hornworms and Italians must be afraid of owls. Even fruitcake would be a better Christmas gift,
daddy