Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Thankful Tuesday

I woke up this morning with a pounding headache, sore throat, clogged sinuses, and achiness. So I'm home in bed and actually having quite a nice day in spite of feeling yucky. I had breakfast with A and R, took a long nap, and now I'm snug under the covers with a cup of hot tea, a purring cat on my legs, and the house to myself. (A and R went to Costco.) Best of all, I found out this morning that my sister Ericka is getting married next month! That was a wonderful surprise. Woohoo!

Yesterday was a great day, too. I woke up early and realized that if I didn't get my butt out of bed, I wasn't going to be able to get everything done that I needed to. So I got up, started a beef stew in the crockpot, fed R a real breakfast of scrambled eggs (vs. the cereal or bagel or piece of fruit we usually have time for), drove A to the subway, got R to school on time and successfully (i.e., no tears or whining - in fact, I barely got a goodbye wave because he was so happy to be there), came home and showered, started a load of laundry, had two conference calls, met a new friend for lunch, did more work and more laundry, washed the dishes, vacuumed, picked up R from school, read stories with R for half an hour, picked up A from the subway, straightened up the house, had friends over for dinner, snuggled with the friends' babies, put on my pajamas, and collapsed on the couch. Whew!

I'm so thankful for days like that. Sunday was completely the opposite, but still wonderful. I went to church and then A and R and I spent the rest of the day playing and relaxing. We had no errands to run, no plans. I kept thinking it was like a real Sabbath day. Although, technically, R and I worked by assembling a marble maze together. And, A worked by whipping up a batch of chocolate truffle frosting for my Dad's leftover chocolate cake. (Dad - we ate one layer, then froze the other. Two times the fun!)

The other "thing" I'm thankful for is more subtle. On Sunday morning, our church small group was responsible for the refreshments, collecting the offering, etc. I was one of the greeters. Later, as I sat listening to the sermon, it hit me how amazing that was. Being a greeter probably isn't a big deal to most people, but to me it was huge. It was another example of the amazing work that God has been doing in my life, how He's been pushing me outside my comfort zone and helping me to get over my social anxiety. I thought of so many examples over the past year where He's been at work: I gave a speech at our company's awards ceremony last Christmas to honor one of my co-workers, I've delivered a number of presentations to my company's management team, I've made new friends, I went to a new church and to the small group alone, etc. To an outside observer, I'm sure none of those things are very momentous. But they are to me. And, I'm so thankful for each one of them and to God for working in me even when it's so subtle that I don't notice it at the time. I think my Guideposts devotion book calls them "Divine Surprises." And, that's exactly what they are. :-)

3 comments:

Greg C said...

I would love being a greeter. I simply love talking with people. I go out of my way to talk with the greeters when I go anywhere.

Ericka said...

That is amazing Kristen. I'm glad that those things have developed, without you even realizing, as that means that you didn't have as much anxiety over them as your old self would have.

Suztash said...

Kristen, being a greeter is MONUMENTAL in importance to the newcomer, the stranger, the unchurched, the lost or troubled soul. You are the first example of "Christian" they encounter...and many have turned away when that example was offensive to them. God put His very best in that position when you were assigned to greet people coming to church. You may not be outgoing, but you're a sweet spirit and a beautiful reflection of the love of God! He is buffing and polishing you, His jewel. Love you, Mom